Thursday, June 10, 2010

Why preach?

I received an email recently that basically went like this:

What is the proper "method" to do "preaching" in a church? In this email the writer explained that he knew of "verse-by-verse" preaching as well as "topical" preaching. And he was trying to figure out which one was best in terms of helping him grow in understanding who God is and how to follow Him.

I have also received questions that go like this: what is the purpose of preaching at all? In this question the poor writer had experienced loads of woefully poor preaching and as a result was turned off by the whole concept.

In addition to these above, I have met a handful of folks at the Question Group who were checking out Christianity but the very notion of having someone "preach" at them was so offensive as to keep them from ever attending a church service.

In response to these questions, let me first admit that I am currently working on a sermon for this Sunday and as I work on it I hope these very questions influence the texture and posture of how I say what I say. I totally understand that the concept of preaching in itself (as well as preferred styles of preaching) in many cases present a barrier for people in even coming to church or, if they do come to church, from enjoying it. So why is it an important part of the Christian experience....why can't we just throw it out?

Several reasons prevent us from doing this but let me just mention one: the means of preaching, oral proclamation, gives its listeners a hint as to how to respond to the Gospel. In Romans 10 Paul contrasts the ineffectiveness "works" in attaining right standing before God against that of the effectiveness of the "word of faith that we proclaim" (i.e. preaching). The response to this proclamation of the finished work of Jesus on the cross [if you don't know quite what this means email me and it can be its own post] is not that of "well, I must work harder and be a better person to gain love and acceptance by God". Rather, it is a confession that Jesus has ALREADY done the work you needed to do and that he is the better person you or I could never be. It is an oral confession and acceptance of his work on our behalf. Hence the foolishness of preaching (1 Cor 1:18) shows us how to respond to the Gospel - to confess and to accept the work of Jesus on the cross....

Much more to be said but I will stop here to see what you guys have to say....

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure how to put this in the form of a question, but one of the more puzzling aspects of preaching for me has been the establishment of the seminary. It always seemed strange to me that after the protestant reformation, which emphasized the "priesthood of believers," we almost seem to have reverted back in some ways to the elite class of priests who can pass down the knowledge of God to the common person. While I highly value a well-educated pastor, I also understand the great cost economically (in the financial and homely meanings of the term) that one has to take in order to become a pastor. In some instances, it seems that the financial burden alone prevents many from being able to attend seminary, which would relegate those who are able to attend into a kind of elite class. I know this is not at all what you personally intend based on our discussions together, but in general, rather than critiquing one particular church or pastor, I suppose I am questioning the establishment of the protestant seminary and why they are often managed according to a model similar to that of a secular university. Why couldn't individual churches do the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Clint. Thanks for your thoughts above. I would love for the church to be robust enough that someone who is called to be a pastor/teacher/preacher could be trained and equipped in the church by folk who were themselves qualified to teach. I certainly desire that Fellowship will be able to do this which is part of the reason why remaining in the church after PhD stuff in important to me. This would relieve much of the burden that you mentioned above. However, the time required to learn the biblical languages in particular makes taking significant time away from normal life necessary in some (but not all!) cases and hence creating a need for a more traditional seminary setting.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Big-D,

    You're one of my heroes! I appreciate your insight and the wisdom God has given you!

    I also think a lot about preaching. This morning I was reading my Bible and a few words stood out to me from Titus 2. "But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine." A few verses later Paul says, "...and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned...."

    We are very proud of you and Renee! Keep up the good work. Grace and peace bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gary, thanks for bringing up this passage, which is especially challenging for us preacher types......the quality of our words AND our lives (integrity) are needed...it is not an either or....

    Proud of you too, Gary!

    ReplyDelete